T-minus 6 days 8 hours

In less than a week I will be in medical school. Even though time has continued to march forward, and will continue to, I'm still in a place where it doesn't completely feel real. Part of it, I'm sure, is that this has been such a long process. On top of being older than the typical student (in any field) I was offered a spot nearly a year ago when I had already been on a wait-list for 9 months. So, to go from a place of suppressed hope to a place of tortured anticipation, and then to preparation is satisfying. My wife and I are feeling settled in our new home here in California, and we've definitely been enjoying sleeping in and not doing all that much for the past couple of weeks. That being said, we still managed to unpack all of our boxes and organize our new home. I am pleased to have a new cadre of house plants, as I had to get rid of all my old ones because your not supposed to bring them into California. At least I was able to find them new homes before we left Colorado. One huge thing among many things to be thankful is the manner in which some peripheral family has taken us under their wing and really been just plain wonderful. It is something I really wasn't anticipating and makes taking the acceptance at Touro here in California that much more special. I plan on posting as much I can during this whole process. Not only have I been told by numerous people that it helps to digest all the new and exciting events and issues but I know that I need to be exercising both sides of the brain in order to properly function. Germy

Comments

Phil Staudt said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phil Staudt said…
Always hoping the best for you. Keep up the good work.
Anonymous said…
You're an inspiration. I plan on taking the dreadful MCAT in March to leave room for re-take(s). Hopefully not. I am a bit older as well. Married with 2 kids. I want to go to a DO school. I love that not too many people know what it is. I was always unconventional. I visited UMDNJSOM, Nova and Lecomm Bradenton. Hated Bradenton. Love the others. Rock on!
Dr_JLP said…
I appreciate the kind words, although when you get to the other side and are actually buried in the day to day work of being in med school you'll know what I mean when I say that I don't exactly feel "inspirational." That being said, thank you. My main advice is to set aside enough time to nail that MCAT the first time around, as a stellar score can and often is your ticket in to school. Good luck with it all.

Popular posts from this blog

By The Stroke Of God's Hand

Strip away the old debris that hides a shining car -- a brilliant Red Barchetta from a better vanished time

I used to be with it, but then they changed what “it” was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s “it” seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson