Let it snow.



I am thankful for my family -- the immediate and extended alike. Living away from most of them for almost ten years makes for fun, filled, and always, trips that are too short. Unlike most undergraduate programs, which allow for a month plus break in the winter, medical school (at least, my program, and most DO programs, I'm sure) allows for just over two weeks between semesters. That, coupled with my wife's work schedule afforded us a small window with which to travel north up to Portland, Oregon. Various issues (the least not being my wife's father's continued health struggles) were at play that would have made staying at home the prudent decision, but one of the nice things about once again living on the West Coast, is that we are within a (relatively) short drive up I-5 from Portland. Also, my plans to spend most of next summer in Israel, involved with an Emergency Medicine rotation means my opportunities to see family will be severely limited, that, coupled with the beginning of the clinical years of medical school means I may not be around for the next few years.



Living in Northern California allows for some well received rain storms to pass overhead. A large system was moving through on the day we decided to head north. I-5 has a couple of passes that can see winter driving conditions at various times of the festive season, but compared to driving in Colorado and even I-80 over the Sierra Nevada passes, adverse conditions are short and usually sweet. The morning before we left I was checking the weather reports, and snow was definitely falling around Mt. Shasta, and chains were required on trucks and towing vehicles -- no big deal, especially for a seasoned Colorado alpine driver armed with an AWD Subaru wagon. After we hit the road, headed north, we drive for nearly 3 hours before we start seeing road signs warning us that I-5 is closed 10 miles north of Redding. Further investigation reveals that the interstate is also closed at the pass south of Ashland as well. There is no timetable provided for potential re-opening of the freeway.



Options at this point include turning around, and spending Christmas with beloved friends and family near home; we also thought about waiting out the closure either at a Starbucks, rest-stop or at a hotel; or, we could take a small, winding state highway due west to highway 101, which we could take north and eventually make our way back to I-5. Complicating matters is the third member of our traveling party: our 100lb Akita, who is a wonderful dog, but has a weakness for eating kitty-cats. My parents have a cat, and so far has shown a sharp distaste for being eaten. We have a kennel in Oregon we know and trust and as such we were going to keep her there during our stay -- the key being that if we didn't get her there prior to 3pm on Saturday before Christmas, we wouldn't be able to board her at all, which would have been a major problem. In light of all this, but perhaps most importantly, I like the feeling of going somewhere over waiting things out, we decide to take State Route 36 from Redbluff to Humboldt County. I'm sure that driving this road on a sunny afternoon in the summer, with the top down, provides for a stunning, world-class drive, not only for the scenery, but also because of the (seemingly) never-ending switchbacks and hairpin turns while hugging the side of a mountain while hanging over a deep ravine -- I'm sure the lack of guardrails provide for an unimpeded view for the river that I imagine courses through the valley floor, far below the highway. That said, driving this route in a winter storm, with snow and ice packed roads, near white-out conditions and not a town, service or cell-phone reception within hours behind or in front of us made for a challenging drive. Falling asleep was not an issue, nor was it an issue on Highway 199, which connects Crescent City to Grant's Pass, and was also significantly treacherous for an hour or so. 



All in all, an 8 hour drive was pushed to nearly 17 hours. But we made it safe and sound, with hours to spare for getting Petra to the kennel before they closed for the holiday. 



Despite the stressful aspects of the drive to Portland, I am still thankful for the opportunity to have such a wonderful family to visit. I got to spend time with people that I haven't been able to for many years, and even  meet younger members (I'm looking at you, baby Jenna!) that I hadn't ever seen before. Seeing cousins grow up and start their own families is satisfying and enjoyable. For those that weren't able to be in Portland (I'm looking at you, Phil, Bobby, Rob & Bella (and Sabo Kiddos)) know that we were thinking about you and that you were missed. 



Here is to the last remaining days of freedom (for medical students, and, convicted and soon to be sentenced criminals, I guess) and happy new year everyone.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

By The Stroke Of God's Hand

Strip away the old debris that hides a shining car -- a brilliant Red Barchetta from a better vanished time

I used to be with it, but then they changed what “it” was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s “it” seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson