I used to be with it, but then they changed what “it” was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s “it” seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson

If I had to guess where my love of falling asleep to background noise, whether it be music, talk radio or television it comes from listening to Blazer games on the radio (1190 KEX) and waking up with some talk show blabbing on and on. It could be the fact that our household did have the television on more often than not and when I was really young I imagine falling asleep with the TV in the background was common and who doesn't love being carried to bed? Or staying up late with visiting cousins, watching late night TV before Grandma and Grandpa had cable. And then later skate videos over and over. Later in my teen years I would listen to the Art Bell show --  Coast to Coast AM -- a show that now seems to be lost to the "alt right" and new crop of the willingly ignorant. A distinct peculiarity of the modern age -- the ability to numb, or quiet our minds with background noise. Am I simply drowning out my own thoughts with incessant noise? Ehh -- whatever. A question for another day.

Regardless, this has turned into me having a 12 year run of using The Simpsons as background noise, a comforting chorus of voices and music; a presence that has been there for 3/4 of my life. First there was JTV.TV which was a casting website, where in the early and mid 00's people would stream NBA games. This is what drew me to web streaming channels. Eventually it would turn into what is now Twitch, where you can watch other people play video games -- I struggle to believe that this is actually a thing, but I digress. From that website's demise came another dude who has been streaming TV shows, including The Simpsons for approaching 10 years. If I'm studying I will often have this channel in the background. If I go to bed before my wife I often fall asleep with The Simpsons in the background. This particular channel has a season 1-13 option and one for season 13 and up. Overwhelmingly I watch the earlier season option.

All of the episodes for the first 13 seasons are known to me in a way that is overwhelmingly familiar and intimate. It will be difficult, but for each season, 1 -13 I will pick my favorite episode and break it down for y'all. Just what you've been waiting for -- a sitcom review for early 90's television! 

SEASON 1 --  12/17/89 - 5/13/90

Season 1 debuted December 17th, 1989. It was a Sunday. I think my family at this point was going to church on Sunday morning and evening and were in the habit of watching America's Funniest Videos with Bob Saget.  The first episode had the family adopting a dog that Homer bets on at the track, Santa's Little Helper. But the show that really gets me from that season is focused on Lisa. Moaning Lisa


While I was a year or two away from finding skateboarding and really having that world open up to me, but nevertheless I was at that age where the need for finding things outside of the familiar family experience really starts to grow. Normal growing up things, and knowing Lisa had the same kind of experiences was comforting, in a way that I'm sure I could not have articulated back then. 

SEASON 2 --  10/11/90 - 7/11/91



Danny Devito delivers, as always, in this episode. He plays a successful CEO of an automobile company, until, of course he learns he is a Simpson. Homer designs the car, it is a design disaster and puts Unky Herb out of business. I can remember my parents discussing the fact that this was loosely based on the Edsel, a Ford Company failure of a car, and it's design led to its failure. Interesting.

All in all, the second offering has a lot of solid episodes, where characters are really developed and without this foundation, the years upon years of static characters would not be possible, or at least, less successful and longevity would be compromised. And while many things have been compromised as the series has worn on and on, longevity is what they can hang their hat on, I guess. 

SEASON 3 --  9/19/91 - 8/27/92

Spinal tap. Failure-to-Launch dude in the attic. Classic rock concert riot. 

SEASON 4 --  8/24/92 - 5/13/93

As someone who had at least 4 church related activities per week growing up, I related to this episoded from the get go.



My all time favorite episode? Well, yeah. I think so. Phil Hartman as the Monorail salesman is just perfect. Leonard Nimoy. 

And how could we not include this gem:



And while this is pushing the envelope of undisciplined and indulgent episode inclusions, I don't really care and furthermore, here is more. I love the theory that in the fourth season, as we see in So It's come To This (A Simpsons Clip Show) that Homer is in a coma. The fourth season is where the writing becomes more whimsical and takes more liberties with twisting reality. I posit that this has allowed the series to survive and in some ways, the subtle style developed here directly lead to Family Guy and the cut scene architecture they use, all the time. Anyway, the theory posits that the rest of the series, since 1993 has been going on in Homer's head as he remains in a coma. Explanations for why celebrity appearances include family members, workers or a TV left on talks about celebrities and he incorporates these names into his dreams. I like it. I like thinking this is what happened.

The 4th season also gives the episode that has us fall in love with Ralph Wiggins, the "choo-choo-choose" me episode.

SEASON 5 --  9/30/93 - 5/19/93

The Last Temptation of Homer. Mindy and Homer. Need I say any more?

Another worthy moment from this season is the song the family sings with, and for Apu as he was fired from the Kwikee Mart, and in a heartbreaking admission at the end of the song, we learn that Apu does indeed need the Kwikee Mart. 



SEASON 6 --  9/4/94 - 5/21/95



I chose this one because it shows Ned in a light other than mockery -- and it its not as if they don't show Ned positively on a regular basis, I just could identify with the idea of the self sacrifice. It was discussed regularly growing up.

SEASON 7 --  9/17/95 - 5/19/96

King Size Homer has a mumu wearing Homer as he has decided to gain weight to get disability so he can work from home. The first time I heard the "any key" joke and where he orders a "Tab" by hitting the tab key. Classic.





SEASON 8 --  10/27/96 - 5/18/97

Homer's Enemy Frank Grimes.  A tragic and ultimately supremely understandable and knowable character. Frank Grimes is you, and me. It is what we would be tempted to do if thrust into the world of Springfield, depending on Homer and his role as Safety Supervisor at the nuclear power plant.






But also El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestra Jomer (The Mysterious Voyage of Homer) cannot be ignored. Marge trying to distract Homer from the Cook Off and then Homer smelling it and when he starts stomping up and down complaining that he is missing the Cook Off is just classic and really, in a way we feel sorry for him. Of course we want him to go to the Cook Off. Marge gets him to agree to not drink, and until he eats the insanity pepper he doesn't, of course, that is just when Marge shows up. And Homer ends up going on what, in my opinion, is some of the best television ever made with his psychedelic dealings with the coyote.



SEASON 9 --  9/21/97 - 5/17/98

Reality Bites. The final Phil Hartman performance. Celebrity deaths are not something I dwell on by any means, but the tragedy that is Hartman's murder by his wife and a uniquely loved career just makes all of his Simpsons visits that much more valuable and cherished. Homer driving Snake's car is always appreciated -- just a pure joy -- a man and his muscle car. Love it.


While I'm thinking about it here is a Phil Hartman dump. News Radio, a oft overlooked gem from the late nineties when the turn of century and the feverish worrying about the Y2K computer disaster really became a dull roar drowning out all other things. Everything but Prince's Party Like It's 1999, everyone heard that song over and over.










SEASON 10 --  8/23/98 - 5/16/99

Make Room For Lisa

Another Lisa-and-Homer-centric episode and  the deprivation chamber scene with Homer makes the episode, even with solid side stories. Homer wrecking the Bill of Rights with chocolate and then having the private cell phone company running the place just speaks to the fact that this era of writers really were so clever in their comments on society. 

SEASON 11 --  9/26/99 - 5/21/2000

Days of Wine and D'oh'ses


Barney goes dry. Perfect scene where Homer takes a six-pack for Barney as he is piloting a helicopter trying to rescue Bart and Lisa. 

SEASON 12 --  11/1/2000 - 5/20/2001

HOMR. Homer had a crayon in his brain, stuffed up there when he was a kid. They remove it and he is suddenly intellectually competent; able to relate to Lisa for the first time in the show on her level, less her making effort to understand him and his ways, as we've seen in earlier episodes with Homer and Lisa. Going through these I actually am surprised I have as many Homer-and-Lisa-centric episodes. Huh.



SEASON 13 --  11/6/2001 - 5/22/2002

The Sweetest Apu. Homer sees Apu with the squishee girl in the walk-in freezer. Scandalous!


I can hear it now -- the march of pitchfork bearing Simpson-philes who are asking me where are the Treee House of Horror episodes? For many of the above seasons I could probably make an argument for the Tree House episode being my favorite. I kind of hold them in a different category, in fact. I thought I'd just go through some of my favorite Tree House segments. These episodes are meant to be the Halloween episode, often airing a week or so off, depending on what is going on with the World Series, or whatever. There are three, separate segments of weird and whimsical, often set in alternate realities, or what have you.








No. No Sideshow Bob episodes. I don't like them. The one and only one that is tolerable is when he marries one of the sisters, and we really learn about the love of MacGyver.

But I do love Grandpa Simpson. How about a Grandpa collection? Okay!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

By The Stroke Of God's Hand

Strip away the old debris that hides a shining car -- a brilliant Red Barchetta from a better vanished time