#RipCityOnTheyAss

I've been a basketball fan as long as I can remember. I would stay with the grandparents and we would watch Blazer over-the-air broadcasts. I remember going to my first Blazer game, I think I was in first grade and my neighbor Jason took me with his family. They played the Mavericks. I had a hoop on the garage, with a sloping driveway as a court.


Terry Porter came and gave talk at the elementary school (Lynch Park, now a Montessori School) and I remember watching him shoot hoops with my gym teacher. When Clyde, Terry, Buck and Jerome went to the finals (twice) my school was filled with signs and it was nearly a holiday of sorts as they kept winning through the playoffs. I've played and watched a lot of basketball in my years.


And I hate James Harden and Chris Paul as basketball players so much. They each embody the very things that I dislike about watching professional sports. But most of all, and this is the thing that really gets me -- they've both quit on their teams. Just gave up. Said, "nah -- I'm good. Just gonna take my paycheck and peace out." A lot of people do this with their jobs. I would argue that people who do this at their "normal" jobs deserve the ire I have for these professional, high-profile athletes. I sure do.


Perhaps it is due to hubris; maybe just wishful thinking, but I identify with basketball players who have ascended to the top of their game, who have shown that they have potential to be the best of the best. NBA basketball is a team sport,  yes, but all roles are not equal in responsibility, nor in compensation. Healthcare is a team sport, and of course roles are varied, with disparate compensation. Sometimes I think "wow, nurses work really hard! Why do doctors get paid more than them?" And of course nurses work hard, many days their hour to hour labor output is higher than a physicians. But when mistakes in care are had, or bad outcomes occur, the lawyers look for the doctor's name, not the nurses.

Chris was on the Family Feud though; surprised he didn't flop on the way to the buzzer thingy

A very loose analogy, and I hope this does not betray my sincere respect and (usual) love of nurse, but it kind of fits. Think of James Harden as someone who is obviously talented and to a certain extent, a student of his craft. He has obviously worked hard to get where he is, and this year he will probably win the MVP award.


Last year, in the playoffs, with his team being one of the best during the regular season, in an elimination game I watched him play with a urgent sense of apathy. He gave no shits. He went to the strip club after the game. He gave a big metaphorical middle finger to all those who had worked with him, next to him and for him all season long. He took the money and ran. No respect.


Of course his style of play, where gaining a whistle from the officials is foremost in importancy versus actually scoring, or assisting is an antithesis to all things I hold dear about the spirit of the game, but at least that is understandable. It is all for the aim of winning. Giving up? Miss me with that weak shit, Harden.


And Chris Paul. Used to play for the Clippers for the recent history until this year, teaming up with Harden and leaving LA for Houston. I don't think many tears were shed when he left LA. He is a difficult teammate to have. And while his blatant apathy is not as egregious as Harden's, he has a track record of potential unrealized.


He is criticized for not making it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs. This is not the root of my consternation as there is a lot of confounding issues, namely injuries which have been the primary reason. However -- and this is interesting -- a couple of years ago when the Clippers were playing the Rockets one of the best (in my mind) collapses happened to the Clippers. A franchise full of failure, throughout its history added to the legend of the perennial butt-of-jokes.


And the best part about this is that the Rockets did this without Harden, who was useless, again, in the playoffs. Bench players played with heart against a Clippers team that seemed to have all but mailed in their advancement notice to the league office -- perhaps 12 minutes of play early. Chris Paul looked like he just wanted it to end, and while his betrayal of all things honorable and right in this universe may be less impressive than Harden's, they are now on the same team. A team that has the best record in the league. A team that relies on Harden drawing the most cringe-worthy and bullshit foul calls in order to succeed. You see, it is not just the free throws that matter, it is much more a matter of disqualification of the defending players which alter an opponent's ability to fight appropriately.


Here comes the obvious comparison to doctors who would act in the same manner. Unfortunately, there are too many of us who do act like that. I deal with them, I'm sure you have, at some time dealt with someone like this. I could go on, but I just really want the Blazers to take out this very unlikable Rockets team tonight. 14 in a row.

But really -- how are the current Lakers so much more likable than the Rockets!? Especially now that D'angelo is gone. Huh. Who woulda thunk it.

And finally -- best wishes to Damian Lillard who is expecting a baby boy any day now. And very selfishly, thanks to the baby for not saying hello to the world until after the game tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

By The Stroke Of God's Hand

Strip away the old debris that hides a shining car -- a brilliant Red Barchetta from a better vanished time

I used to be with it, but then they changed what “it” was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s “it” seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson